The scientific and technological research may be defined as a group of activities that aims to find out new knowledge which is useful to solve the existing problems. These activities are crucial, so that development may occur, offering new subsidies that will both allow and indicate a better way to find solutions to the problems detected, through using newly developed techniques.
The research must be linked to teaching and its extension, thus keeping the inseparability among the three axes. This principle is responsible for both the promotion and the exchange in several academic moments, thus promoting knowledge and techniques production in the Institution. There is also the promotion of both the experience and the improvement of the participants, making them more reflexive towards the needs of society. The activities of research and innovation may be held in the campi of IFTM or elsewhere. The financial and material resources may come from IFTM or from other sources. The research which deals with technological development with innovative characteristics, intellectual property rights according to invention patents, utility model patent, industrial design recordings, software recordings, brand recordings, copyrights and image rights must be in accordance with the internal regulations and with the current legislation.
More and more the research in IFTM is linked to teaching and extension, through the continued structuring of the curriculums of the courses that are offered, which is in tune with what the society desires and with the demands of a globalized world.
The Research Board, responsible for elaborating, managing and monitoring the Institutional Research Policy, works, through the General Coordination of Research, with the other coordination boards in the campi. These are the research goals at IFTM:
I. To meet the needs and interests of society;
II. To encourage the development and the consolidation of Research Groups;
III. To encourage the training and the qualification of IFTM researchers;
IV. To contribute to the improvement of professional specialization;
V. To subsidize the development of post-graduation programs;
VI. To promote the generation of products and/or innovative processes that result in intellectual property.
Center of Technological Innovation — NIT
The Center of Technological Innovation — NIT — from Instituto Federal de Educação, Ciência e Tecnologia — IFTM — is a department directly linked to the Research and Innovation Deanship (PROPI). Its aim is to create and manage the encouragement policy to innovation and scientific and technological research, as well as the enabling of strategies and actions related to intellectual property in internal and external scopes of IFTM.
In face of the current globalization process, it’s impossible for a country to outstand without having a special focus on innovation. Innovation can transform much more than the economy of a country: it may intensely affect other several fields, for instance, its society.
In this context, and also accordingly to Lei de Inovação n. 10.973/04 [Innovation Law], the Center of Technological Innovation of IFTM was created in 2010. It is responsible for managing the technological innovation policy, as well as for the protection and transferring of the knowledge produced by IFTM.
Thus, the approval of the Innovation Law in December 2004, determined the national Institutions of Science and Technology (ICT) — universities or research institutes — to have Centers of Technological Innovation (NITs) to manage its respective innovation policy. Therefore, it was created, in December 2010, the Centers of Technological Innovation.
This law also indicates the minimal requirements of the Centers of Technological Innovation:
- To ensure the maintenance of the institutional policy of stimulating the protection of what is created, of the licensing, innovation and other ways of technology transference;
- To assess and classify the results of the activities and of the research projects in order to proceed in accordance with the law;
- To assess independent inventors’ claims for the adoption of their inventions;
- To advise on the convenience and to promote the protection of the creations developed in the institution;
- To advise on the convenience of the propagation of the institution’s creations which may be protected by intellectual property rights;
- To monitor the institution’s requests for intellectual property rights as well as to maintain those already granted.
Post-graduation Degree Programs
The general coordination of the post-graduation degree program is subordinated to the Research and Innovation Deanship of Instituto Federal de Educação, Ciência e Tecnologia do Triângulo Mineiro. Its aim are to coordinate, supervise and guide the execution of the institutional activities of post-graduation at IFTM. It is the job of the coordination of the post-graduation program:
- To advise the Dean of Research on the policy, organization and coordination of post-graduation activities at IFTM;
- To inform and to keep updated the post-graduation projects and programs at IFTM;
- To propose regulations for the post-graduation activities;
- To carry out other related activities assigned by the Research and Innovation Deanship;
- To coordinate and supervise the academic and administrative activities within the scope of the post-graduation degree program;
- To assist other coordinators and boards of directors linked to the Research and Innovation Deanship;
- To perform other activities related to the area, as well as other activities which may be assigned by the Research and Innovation Deanship.